With the rise of coronavirus cases in India, citizens across the country need medicines, hospital beds, and oxygen cylinders. While hospital beds with oxygen for COVID treatment are all in short supply, some hospitals and companies are providing complete home ICU setups for critical patients. Doctors are also recommending patients get pandemic treatment at home. Chances for ICU setups at home are approximately Rs 15,000 a day.
In general, regular health insurance plans do not provide coverage for home treatment expenses. They cover expenses incurred on hospitalization for a minimum of 24 hours or more and day-care procedures as mentioned. But, Corona Kavach, a special COVID-19 health insurance policy, has been designed to cover the expenses related to COVID treatment at home. The maximum number of days for which you get home treatment cover is up to 14 days. Therefore, if you are unable to find a hospital bed, get the set-up done for your loved ones at your home.
Below is a lookout for filing a reimbursement claim for COVID home-care treatment.
Korona Kavach Policy
|Sr. No.||Claimable||Non Claimable|
|1||The fee of doctor for up to 14 days||Home Quarantine|
|2||Charges for diagnostic, and pharmacy bills||Home Quarantine|
|3||Cost of oxygen cylinders and oximeters||Self-treatment|
|1||Doctor’s visit, medicine and nursing charges||Home treatment if hospital beds are available|
|2||Diagnostic procedures||Expenses without invoices|
Coverage for COVID Home Treatment Expenses
Buy a Corona Kavach policy if your existing regular health insurance is not covering home treatment charges. The sum insured starts from 50,000 up to 5 lakh with tenure of 3.5 months, 6.5 months, and 9.5 months. This standard coronavirus policy by IRDAI is provided by all health insurance companies in India.
- Corona Kavach health insurance policy is available for people with COVID positive reports and has been suggested for an active line of treatment.
- The cost of pulse oximeters and oxygen cylinders is also covered.
- Cover for home ICU and COVID-19 treatment to the sum insured amount without come with no sub-limits.
- Also, please keep in mind that expenses for home quarantine are not covered.
Home Care Treatment under Basic Health Plans
If you are suffering from a mild pandemic infection that does not require hospitalization, and you will have to undergo home treatment on the advice of a doctor, you can file a health insurance claim.
Whenever you meet across such a situation, remember to go through the terms and conditions of the policy. You can get a claim for oxygen expenses as long as oxygen usage is towards.
Do keep in mind that any regular health insurance does not provide coverage for the cost of oxygen cylinders as medical equipment unless the co-morbidities are given a cover.
- If a policyholder has mild symptoms, he/she can take COVID-19 treatment at home, while serious cases need to be admitted to the hospitals.
- In mild cases, the charges for medication range between Rs 15,000 and Rs 20,000.
- Post-bed recovery costs won’t be covered.
- Expenses related to rest and rehabilitation, nursing costs, dietary supplements, vitamins, and minerals are not covered.
- However, you will have to be careful of the conditions and exclusions while filing a claim.
- Please note that you can only get a claim for as far as oxygen is used for treatment under medical supervision.
- Each term and home care or domiciliary hospitalization in your medical insurance policy is covered.
If the doctor has suggested you for home treatment, then you will be reimbursed for the charges incurred on home treatment. It is always best to prepare for it in advance. The coverage starts 15-16 days after your policy purchase date.